Mount Auburn Hospital - Cambridge, MA
LPN/Medical Assistant Infectious Disease and Travel Medicine
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Maintain exam rooms, equipment, and inventory levels in clinical areas: sanitize, good
condition, replenish supplies including vaccines. Follow established policies and OSHA
guidelines for cleaning and disposing.
2. Appointment and pre-visit planning: assist with booking appointment, screen chief
complaint, reconcile immunization/allergies/meds, obtain test results/consult reports/other
related information as appropriate. Document timely and accurate in Epic.
* Ensure that referrals/prior authorizations/other needed documentation are in place.
Initiate them when necessary.
3. Receive and prepare patient for exam: room patient, take/records vitals, weight/height.
4. Perform/document medical assistant clinical procedures as ordered including: administer
vaccines/medication, dressing change, other specialized testing and specimen collection.
* Prepare/send specimens to hospital/other labs: proper label/log/package and pick-up.
* Reconcile laboratory logs daily, internal and external.
5. Complete and maintain control and calibration records and temperature logs of practice
refrigerators/freezers storing medications/vaccines.
* Monitor/order/maintain appropriate vaccine supply.
6. Discharge from clinic/post visit:
* Coordinate/schedule: tests, procedures, PCP follow up, referrals to other specialists.
* Assist with distribution of patient letters/certifications, discharge instructions.
* Assist with transportation arrangements if needed (e.g. call ambulance).
7. Communicate with patients: test results, follow-up vaccines, patient questions, basic triage.
* Track results and consult letters: ensure receipt by provider, notify of incomplete
tests/consults and follow up with patient as directed, per departmental protocols.
* Receive calls and messages on provider's behalf. Screen and prioritize calls and portal
messages. Include pertinent information as needed (e.g. requested result).
* Return patient calls on the provider's behalf.
* Release results (by phone, letter, or portal) and coordinate follow up.
* Process prescription requests as directed.
* Review daily cancellations/no-shows with provider: reschedule/contact.
8. Provide coverage including but not limited to cross-coverage with secretarial support,
scanning, and other tasks as requested by manager. This may include floating to other areas
within the practice or floating to other practices.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Minimum: High school graduate and higher. Minimum of three years' experience as a medical assistant in a medical practice environment desirable. Certification as a medical assistant or licensed practice nurse (LPN) required.
2. Ability to multi-task. Customer service experience.
3. Computer skills required. Prior use of EPIC EMR strongly preferred.
4. Certification in CPR.
5. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently and follow
6. Prior history with infectious disease strongly preferred.